Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 1: The Beginning

Alright then, fellow Veg Heads! Today is officially my first full day of being a vegetarian.


Recap: I am not eating any meat for 30 days. Now 29 days. 


This morning was easy, as I'm sure it will be often. I just stuck to your ol' average toast. And I did put a little Nutella on it. I have no idea who created that wonderful stuff, but they really knew what they were doing. 


Lunch was a little wonky. I had a friend over and we decided to make some grilled cheese sandwiches. Pretty safe and simple, but then Em decided to be all fancy with hers and add in a few slices of ham. And I really wanted some of that ham. It's funny how you don't even notice how much you eat meat until you give it up. It was all okay though because I compensated by spicing up my grilled cheese with some fresh basil and tomatoes. It ended up being really good, and I am definitely eating that again.


Dinner was a success! I went into an old cookbook and tried to find some peaceful, easy vegetarian recipes. I found a sort of veggie/bean mix that was meant to stand alone, but that I put over some noodles. 


I got some really nice feedback from the bro and 'rents, so if you ever want to try out the recipe, I say go for it. SUCCESS! 


Vegetable Toss-Up


2 teaspoons olive oil
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 chopped onion
cayenne
fresh basil (chopped)
2 teaspoons of tomato paste
salt & pepper
1 large chopped tomato
half-can of tomato sauce
1 can of red kidney beans (protein!)
2 garlic cloves (chopped)


Cut up all the vegetables, and heat the olive oil in a pan. Toss in the red & green peppers, the onion and the garlic. Stir evenly until the vegetables are soft. Then slowly add in all the other ingredients, pausing when needed until the mix begins to form a clumpy sauce. Then let simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.


Add spices according to taste.


P.S. I would put this over some pasta or rice, because it isn't a full meal standing alone.


Enjoy my first vegetarian recipe!









FIRST DAY SUCCESS :)

No comments:

Post a Comment